Residential Planning Solutions

St-wise offers planning services for clients planning or currently building residential developments. While straightforward, single home builds will usually only require a permit, there are a number of residential developments that require the assistance of expert town planning services.

You may require town planning if:

  • You are planning a residential development project that includes two or more dwellings
  • Your development is to include new buildings, alterations or additions to a building in a heritage area
  • You are planning alterations and/or additions to a dwelling that is heritage listed
  • Your development is on a smaller lot, which can vary. Some Councils consider a smaller lot to be less than 300sqm, and others less than 500sqm.

The town planning process

Beyond Design Group

Pre-planning Advice

Before you start planning your residential project, St-wise can provide design recommendations to make the most of the site’s potential while considering how it will affect the surrounding area. Pre-planning can save time down the track, as potential council or community objections can be identified and addressed early.

Heritage Considerations

There are very strict rules and laws around what can and can’t be altered or added to heritage properties and buildings. St-wise has assisted on a number of projects that involve heritage listings, so we can guide you through what the Council will or will not approve before you get to the planning stage. We can also help you adjust current plans to fall within heritage guidelines.


As representatives for our clients, we can liaise directly with Council on your behalf. We can also assist with organising community consultations where required. Having built a strong and professional reputation with shires across Melbourne, we’ll ensure your project is considered by the relevant authorities within a reasonable time frame.

Planning Permits

If you’re seeking a highly professional Town Planning Report to support your permit application, we can work with you to draft a report that complements your plans, blueprints and drawings. A report may be required by Council to justify why your particular development is an appropriate addition to the existing community.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) Appeals

St-wise can assist you with lodging an appeal if a decision isn’t in your favour. We prepare the paperwork, liaise with expert witnesses and present on your behalf to VCAT. When there is a dispute on a planning matter between the developer and Council, or the developer and other stakeholders including neighbours, VCAT can make a final ruling.

Download a copy of our fee structure and an explanation of services provided. In most cases, we can offer a fixed fee structure to ensure you know what our services cost with no hidden extras.

Find out more

Contact St-wise to discuss your residential development project. We can provide initial advice about your project and information regarding council requirements free of charge.